Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thoughts about the father of my children on Father's Day!

I met Winlove Abello Cudal when I was 16 years old and a gangling physical education student at the University of the Philippines. I met him in a very unusual way. There I was dressed in my gym suit with my long legs on display. I was about to enter the P.E. library when my attention was caught by an announcement on the bulletin board, "Track and Field athletes report for practice." I stopped to read and check out the list, asking myself, "whom do I know in this list". I checked the names from A to C, then came the name WINLOVE. I swooned over the name, "What a beautiful name. Is his face as nice as his name? Winlove, Winlove, I hope I can meet you, Winlove, what a beautiful name!" The gymnasium was noisy and I thought I was just speaking to myself. Then a man emerged from behind the bulletin board. He extended his right hand and said, "I am Winlove Cudal, how do you do?" I was so embarrassed. I did not shake his hand. Instead, I ran away as fast as I can, wishing the earth would open and swallow me up. The embarrassment was compounded by the fact that this was the man who payed for my bus fare a week ago. I didn't know him from Adam and there he was smiling and paying for the 10 cent fare to the Halili bus driver. I was wondering who the man was and now here he appears smiling ad introducing himself!
Fast forward, fifty five years later. Our marital journey brought forth eight bundles of joy. One, Lovejoy, died in infancy. Seven have their own career and families. I was trying to find words to best describe him as a person, then I found 1 Corinthians 13. Winlove is patient, generous and kind. Winlove is not rude. He is not boastful. He makes no record of wrongs. he has always been there for me with faith, hope and love. But the greatest of this is LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment